Here for History Archives - Tax Levies,
2010 - All
Cowlitz 2 Fire & Rescue career employees
took a 5% to 8% pay reduction resulting
in over $223,000 in savings for the
department. These team commitments aid
in maintaining response capability and
the ability to serve their public. Chief
LaFave believes that the sacrifices made
will balance the District's budget at
least until the end of 2011 and
hopefully until the economy turns
around. "This was an opportunity for our
people to come together as a team...we
have a dedicated group of volunteer
responders that we will have to rely on
now more than ever." Surrounding
executives supports the decision and
commend "this is an organization built
on trust and teamwork". Click here for
the full media release.
2001 - Dave LaFave was promoted to Fire
Chief by the Board of Commissioners on
March 14, 2001. On July 1 of the same
year, Longview Fire Department & Cowlitz
2 Fire & Rescue officially dissolved
their administrative merger and are now
two separate entities. However, we do
contract for certain services to provide
the best response time and care to the
citizens of the Longview & Kelso areas.
2000 - Dave LaFave was appointed as the
Interim Fire Chief for Cowlitz 2 Fire &
Rescue in November of this year.
1998 - Chief Joe Valenzuela retired. On
August 16, Longview Fire Department and
Cowlitz 2 Fire & Rescue officially
merged administratively and became
"Longview / Cowlitz 2 Fire & Rescue".
1996 - "The Great Flood of 96" -
Approximately 450 people were sheltered
by American Red Cross. Evacuations and
about 40 slides were reported as well. The damage was assessed at $6,565,119.
1993 - Burlington Railroad Train
Derailment occurred near I-5, mile post
1985 - Wagner Road area of Rose Valley
was annexed. The City of Kelso was
annexed by a favorable vote of residents
of both the city and district. A new
Headquarters Station was built at 701
Vine Street in Kelso. On December 1,
1985, Fire District #2 began providing
fire protection for the City of Kelso
with the District's first full-time
1978 - Lexington Station was built at
1796 West Side Highway in Kelso.
1974 - Bunker Hill Station was built at
113 Bunker Hill Road in Longview.
1973 - Areas of Ostrander and Mt.
Brynion were annexed. Bunker Hill,
Germany Creek, Mill Creek and Abernathy
Creek areas were annexed up to the
1967 - Rose Valley Station was built at
1436 Rose Valley Road in Kelso.
1966 - Holcomb Acres, Rose Valley, Mt.
Pleasant and Carrolls were annexed by
petition. Areas of Clark Creek and
Columbia Heights were annexed by
1965 - Baker's Corner Station was built
at 5699 Ocean Beach Highway in Longview.
1964 - Coal Creek / Willow Grove areas
were annexed by a favorable vote.
1956 - Columbia Heights Station was
built at 922 Nevada Drive in Longview,
the first station in the District.
1947 - Cowlitz County Rural Fire
Protection District #2 was created by a
special election held on Saturday,
December 6, 1947.