Wildfire Danger Level For:
September 17, 2021
What Does HIGH Mean?
- Fires start readily and spread quickly.
- Fires in forests can ignite small groups of trees (group torching) and spread for short distances in tree crowns (short crowning runs).
- Flames in the surface part of the fire can easily exceed 4 feet and may exceed 8 feet.
- Fires in dry grass spread very quickly with flames of 10 to 20 feet, especially where shrubs are also burning.
- Spotting is common and can occur some distance from the main fire.
- Unattended campfires are likely to escape a fire ring or fire pit and sparks are likely to start fires in dry grass and needles.