About Our Volunteer Program
Cowlitz 2 Fire & Rescue is a combination department with over 40 volunteer responders. Our volunteers are trained to the same level and expected to perform in the same capacity as career responders. We accept both EMS and fire volunteers, and volunteers are eligible for many benefits: experience, sponsored training, tuition reimbursement, volunteer stipends, life insurance, and retirement benefits.
Volunteers must meet requirements for membership:
- Be 18 years old.
- Posess a high school diploma, GED, or higher degree.
- Pass a background check and risk assesment evaluation.
- Posess a valid driver’s license
- Maintain an insurable driving record with no criminal violations, and no more than two moving violations in three years.
- Pass a fit-for-duty physical and drug screen.
- Continually meet participation requirements and complete required training promptly.
- Turn in the Application and all the required paperwork:
– Complete application
– Signed background check releases with original signatures
– Copy of Driver’s License
– 5 Year Driving Abstract from the DMV
– Copy of HS Diploma, GED, or higher degree
– any additional training certificates you have
- Initial Background Check
An online seach of your criminal history and address history.
- Station Interview
An interview with 3-5 station officers and members. This lets us get to know you as a person.
- In-depth Background Review and Interview
A private investigator will review your background and conduct a personal interview
- Medical and Drug Screen
You will make an appointment with our health care provider to get a fit-for-duty physical and
be screened for drug use. If it is federally illegal, it can’t be in your system.
- Paperwork and Insurance
An appointment with Fire Support Specialist Anna Davis to complete your initial paperwork and review
- Logistics Appointment
An appointment with to be issued uniforms and gear, and be
familiarized with the department.
- Basic Academy
A four-month hybrid class that will teach you all the basic skills to be a rookie
firefighter. There is at-home reading, online testing, and in-person hands-on lessons.
Cowlitz 2 Fire & Rescue is proud to have Captain Mike Ellis as our Volunteer Coordinator. If you have questions about volunteering, please give him a call at (360) 575-6281.